Monday, August 20, 2012

Living the dream and leaving the dream…




To gain something, one has to leave something; the unwritten law proved itself once again on Sunday wee hours, when I left Nagpur for Kochin. As Kerala Express gave its leaving alarm, I started realizing my long cherished dream to attend the Defence Correspondents Course - once in a lifetime opportunity for a journalist. However, in return to this dream, the destiny planned to take something of the very same magnitude - another lifetime opportunity from me.

Each phase of life has its own flavour and it should be enjoyed to the fullest to make life a beautiful feeling. Childhood, school time, college days and bachelor life – every phase should be full of sharable memories; and why not the time of love and marriage? After all, most of the novels and almost all of the movies tell us that, the most sharable stories of life are love stories, and the most beautiful moments are when you are being loved by the person you love the most. Well, the destiny has planned to postpone these moments from my life, in return of the dream opportunity.

My fiancée was officially declared as my would-be wife just a day before I left for this course. And, we didn’t even find enough time to celebrate the occasion. Nothing is sad. But happiness coming in back-to-back packages has brought with it the dilemma that which happiness is bigger and to be celebrated. With this happy-happy and not-so-happy feeling, I left Nagpur for Kerala – God’s own country.

Well, God’s own country is still 22 hours away and my train is passing through Reddy’s own country – Andhra Pradesh right now. It’s a rainy day here in Warangal district and the farms are greener as compared to the farms in Vidarbha. Even the paddy farms are livelier than that of in rice growing Ramtek and Nagardhan area of Nagpur. Water bodies, especially, the farm lakes are pleasant to watch here and they are wealthy enough to make a person from rain-fed Vidarbha a bit envy.

Being a subscriber of Hyderabad edition of The Hindu, I have some idea of what is going on here in Andhra Pradesh. Farmers are suffering here, too; just like they are in Vidarbha. But, after watching the beautiful farm lakes, and considerably big rivers around, I wonder the problem of Andhra farmers can be solved with effective measures. Well, who takes effective measures here? Is the master question – applicable to Andhra Pradesh as well as for Vidarbha. 

But, there is some similarity that joins Vidarbha and Andhra Pradesh. I had been to Lucknow and Bhopal several years back, and I felt a terrible detachment to the land and atmosphere there. But, the Andhra land and the atmosphere is something homely, attached. The color of soil, the greenery, and even the feel in the air is quite homely here. The temples and buildings, houses and huts, bulls and buffaloes – all are like that in Vidarbha. After all, like Vidarbha, this part of land is also struggling for the separate statehood – another joining thread!

As I proceed further through Andhra Pradesh, I will be getting an opportunity to spend some moments at the feet of Lord Venkateshwara at Tirupati, where the train is scheduled to stop for ten minutes. After bowing in front of the Lord from the train itself, I will proceed for the God’s own country tonight.

No comments: